When I wanted to publish the “People I Follow” list to my sidebar, I took a look around for a plugin that would help me get the job done. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was- it looks like just about every twitter plugin for WordPress is either made to show your own tweets on your site, or to publish your blog posts to your Twitter account.
Am I the only one out there who wants to post tweets of the people I follow on my WordPress blog?
I have a hard time believing that.
Fortunately, I know of an awesome solution for this, it’s the Sea of Clouds jQuery plugin, Tweet!, and since I know there are other WP folks out there who would love the same flexibility that Tweet! offers, I’ve ported it to a WP plugin. Now you can get the same flexibility of Tweet! in an easy to configure WP plugin, and add Twitter feeds anywhere on your site using widgets and shortcodes.
Here’s a list of features taken from the Tweet! homepage:
- small size and fast download time
- will not slow down or pause your page while tweets are loading
- display up to 100 tweets, as permitted by the twitter search api
- display tweets from a twitter search, or from your own feed
- optional verb tense matching, for human readable tweets
- optionally display your avatar
- optionally display tweets from multiple accounts!
- display tweets from a list, or display a user’s favorites
- optional reloading after a specified delay
- automatic linking of @replies to users’ twitter page
- automatic linking of URLs
- uses Twitter’s Search API, so you can display any tweets you like
- Display up to 100 tweets that have been posted within 7 days (limit set by Twitter’s Search API)
- automatic linking of #hashtags, to a twitter search of all your tags
- converts <3 to a css styleable ♥ (we ♥ hearts)
- makes awesome text, AWESOME text with AWESOMEIZER
- customize the layout for tweets within the widget
- apply custom filters, e.g. to remove @replies
- define a custom sort order for tweets
- customize the style with your own stylesheet or with other jquery plugins
- compatible with most jquery versions, including jquery 1.2.6, 1.3.x, 1.4.x, 1.5.x and the latest 1.6.x
Download or fork it on GitHub here.